Like it or not, drywall repair is an integral part of painting. You need to make sure that the walls are in great shape before you start painting.
This includes patching small holes, filling nail holes, replacing bad seam tape, fixing ceiling texture, skim coating walls, and sometimes even replacing entire walls and re-sheetrocking rooms.
That is why we added this drywall page to DIY Painting Tips.
Here you’ll find everything you need to know about drywall from choosing the right materials, how-tos, and much more.
Getting Started With Drywall
The first thing most people want to know is how much does it cost to install drywall? Should this be a project you DIY or is it better to just let a pro do major drywall projects at your home?
Don’t get stuck in the store debating which fastening tool to go with, have it figured out beforehand so you can make the best decision possible.
Knowing what thickness of drywall to use on which walls is essential to the longevity of your project. This guide covers everything you need to know about drywall thickness.
Once you’ve determined the thickness you need, now it’s time to jump into drywall sizes and why you’d use different sizes.
The name says it all.
White board, green board, blue board, purple, paperless, oh my! In this post, we cover the main types of drywall and where you’d want to use them.
There is more to removing drywall than just swinging a sledgehammer. In this post, we cover how to remove drywall fast, efficiently, and mess-free.
If you’ve never done it before, cutting drywall can be a mess of a nightmare. With a few simple tricks though, you’ll be slicing that drywall to perfection.
If you’re a DIYer, then you’re probably going to be doing your project alone. There are different techniques and tools that a lone DIYer should know when hanging drywall.
Essential Drywall Tools
If you’ve decided to go the DIY route (I salute you!), you’ll need to get the right tools for the job. This post covers the essentials of what you’ll need and why you need it.
More Basic Tools For Drywall
Now that your drywall is up, it’s time to prime! But which primer is best? In this post, we cover my picks for the best primers for new and existing drywall.
Knockdown and Popcorn Ceiling Texture
Repairing popcorn ceiling texture can be tricky and super messy. Here is a complete guide on repairing popcorn ceiling texture.
If you don’t know what you’re doing, trying to paint popcorn ceilings can be a nightmare and you can actually cause more damage to the ceiling. Here’s how to do it right and efficiently.
Time for that popcorn texture to go? Here’s how to get it off your ceilings and get a blank slate for either flat ceilings or knockdown.
Wrapping Up Drywall Repair
Hopefully, you’ve found what you’re looking for and are feeling confident enough to tackle your own drywall repair or installation project.
If you’re looking for more DIY Painting Information, check out these pages below for loads of painting how-tos and more:
Recent Posts On Drywall
- How to Cut DrywallLearning how to cut drywall is one of the first steps you need to know to hang drywall by yourself. Luckily, it’s incredibly easy and doesn’t require any expensive tools (for most cuts you can simply use a utility knife or jab saw). Here’s exactly how to cut drywall to size for your DIY drywall …
- How Much Does It Cost to Install Drywall?The average cost to install drywall is one of the first things to consider before starting a drywall project. Whether you’re repairing a single panel, replacing drywall in an entire room, or drywalling an entire house, a basic understanding of average drywall costs is essential. Because many of our readers are DIYers, we break down …
- Essential Drywall Tools List: What You Need for the Best ResultsDrywalling does require some specialized tools (as well as some common household tools). Luckily though, picking up all of these tools is reasonably affordable. You can certainly find everything you need for your next DIY drywall project without breaking the bank. Today, we look at exactly which drywall tools you absolutely need (and which are …
- Ultimate Guide to Drywall ScrewsDrywall screws are the go-to fastener for hanging drywall, beating out drywall nails in almost every scenario. But what type of drywall screws are right for your project? Today, we break down everything you need to know about drywall screws, including how to select the right length, gauge, and thread as well as proper spacing. …
- Drywall Nails vs Screws: Which Is Best?Need to hang drywall yourself? One question you undoubtedly have is which is better – drywall nails or drywall screws? I’ll cut right to the chase: it’s largely a matter of opinion, although screws hold stronger and nails are cheaper. For ceilings, screws are always the way to go. For walls, nails do the job …
- Types of Drywall (And When to Use Them)Planning to hang your own drywall? Before selecting your preferred drywall thickness and drywall size, you must pick the right type of drywall for the job. There are roughly 5 to 10 main types of drywall (depending on who you ask). Each has its own best applications and uses, depending on the project. Today, I …